The Math Forum

Topic: Developing the DM track (high school level)
Replies: 26   Last Post: Nov 21, 2017 1:56 PM

kirby urner

Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
att1.html (2.3 K)

Here are a couple examples of high schools offering
Discrete Mathematics as a subject, for math credit:

https://www.frhsd.com/Page/355
https://www.mnohs.org/math-courses/discrete-mathematics

There's a lot of room for greenfield development in
this area. For one thing, there's no reason math teachers
need to enslave themselves to the AP CS curriculum,
with its Java jive and other time-wasting content (time-
wasting from the point of view of many would-be
students who'd like more alternatives).

Calling it Programming 1, Programming 2 sounds
astoundingly boring and unimaginative, so I'm glad
we're not somehow tied to that nomenclature.

Kirby

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 5:13 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
>

>> Programming 1 can start in 10th grade, but some 9th graders would be
>> ready. Technically, someone taking Algebra 2 could also start programming
>> 1. Programming 2 (including databases) would follow, and numerical methods
>> could be an elective, and games could be an elective. You could also have
>> web applications as an elective.
>>
>> Something missing in this is operating systems.
>>
>> Bob

Date Subject Author
11/15/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
kirby urner
11/16/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
kirby urner
11/16/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
Robert Hansen
11/16/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
kirby urner
11/16/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
Robert Hansen
11/16/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
kirby urner
11/16/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
kirby urner
11/16/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
Robert Hansen
11/17/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
kirby urner
11/17/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
Louis Talman
11/18/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
kirby urner
11/18/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
Robert Hansen
11/18/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
Carleton Washburne
11/18/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
kirby urner
11/19/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
kirby urner
11/19/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
Robert Hansen
11/19/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
kirby urner
11/19/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
Carleton Washburne
11/19/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
kirby urner
11/19/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
Carleton Washburne
11/20/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
Robert Hansen
11/20/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
kirby urner
11/20/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
Robert Hansen
11/20/17
Read Re: Developing the DM track (high school level)
kirby urner
11/21/17