Topic: Parabola's
Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 2, 2012 1:07 PM

Susan Boone

Re: Parabola's

Hi,

My favorite thing to teach is "parabola's" I had students bring water
rockets to school this year and we went outside to launch them. We timed
how long it took them to return and recorded their height using a homeade
clinometer. We "sketched" this onformation on a graph, then applied the
formula to graph it using calculators. This is sort of neat because the
flight path of the rochet models a parabola and often the examples in teh
text have something to do with projectiles. I did this with 9th graders
and it was a bit hard. More success may have been possible with more
advanced students...but we had fun and hopefully learned something.

Susan Boone
Saint Agnes Academy
Houston, TX
sboone@rice.du

On 28 Jul 1999, Anonymous wrote:

> I would like to get real-life interesting and exciting applications
> regarding parabola's. Thanks in advance

Date Subject Author
7/28/99
Read Parabola's