Topic: Taxicab Geometry
Replies: 3   Last Post: Feb 24, 1995 3:10 PM

Doris Schattschneider

Re: Taxicab Geometry

One activity that is interesting is to have students discover what
"shapes" certain loci have in the plane with a taxicab metric. For
example, what "shape" is the "perpendicular bisector" defined by 2 points
(where as a locus, it is defined as the set of points in the plane
equidistant from the two given points). Or what "shape" is a "circle"
(where it is defined as the set of points at a fixed distance from a fixed
point). There are similar questions for each of the other conics, and
indeed for any other loci that are defined in terms of distances.

It's been quite a while since I've looked at Krause (it came out a long
time ago and was only recently brought out in reprint), but I think I
recall that he does not deal with the continuous plane. If that is the
case, you should know that these questions are much more interesting in the
continuous plane. [If I'm wrong in my recollection, ignore this remark.]

If the students have any knowledge of isometries in the Euclidean plane, it
is interesting to have them discover what are the isometries in the plane
with the taxicab metric (which motions are taxicab-distance preserving?).

Doris Schattschneider