Topic: Serra's Discovering Geometry, Rhoad's Geometry for Enjoyment
Replies: 17   Last Post: Jul 10, 2013 10:45 AM

Mike de Villiers

Re: Serra's _Discovering Geometry_

On 6 Apr 1995, Top Hat Salmon wrote:
I wonder, as have other posters, if
> there is much need for a year-long geometry course, and I am asking if
> anyone out there has ever taught from an integrated curriculum that did
> NOT include a seperate Geometry
> --
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> One World
> One Operating System !
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

For what it's worth: some commments regarding the above. I've always
found it rather strange that in the USA, geometry in the high school is
restricted to only one year. In South Africa, geometry is taught in
alongside algebra, trigonometry and calculus throughout the high school
curriculum starting in the Grade 7 with tessellations, enlargements,
informal Euclidean and transformations with the first introduction to
proof in Grade 9, and then only in the context of explaining why certain
interesting surprising results are true (A complete aiomatization is not
done). Starting with some local axiomatization in Grade 10 this is
extended to a more complete axiomatization in Grades 11 & 12. Trigonmetry
is also started in Grade 10 and in Grades 11 and 12 some Analytic
Geometry is also done.
I certainly don't believe it is a good thing to artificially
compartementalize math - I believe students benefit more, learning more
meaningfully by seeing the relationships between the different topics
within math and how they can cross-fertilize each other...