Topic: Do we need a full year of Geometry?
Replies: 29   Last Post: Nov 21, 1997 11:13 AM

Bill Marthinsen

Re: 1 Year of Geometry

I would venture to say that Michael Keyton is not alone in wishing that
geometry was emphasized more in the mathematics curriculum. Currently the
secondary mathematics curricula in the U.S. are strongly dominated by
algebra. Aside from a year of geometry, there is little geometry content
in a student's mathematics education. I fear that the push toward an
integrated curriculum will further erode the amount of geometry students
see in high school in favor of heavier algebra content. (Linda Dodge's
original question tends to validate this anxiety.)

How was the current balance of algebra to geometry determined? What was
the rationale behind it? Was it always so? What other balances have there
been? I would like to see answers to these questions before jumping to
conclusions about whether to zap either geometry or algebra from the
curriculum.

These two areas of study are actually complementary: algebra focuses on
developing in students convergent thinking patterns (simplifying and
solving) and the ability to manipulate abstractions (variables) while
geometry encourages the development of divergent thinking patterns
(specific example to generalization) and the visualization of abstractions
(geometric modeling). Each seems to have a different function, and both
are needed.

I worry when teachers focus narrowly on a single learning or teaching
style and become intolerant of other ways to learn or teach. Individuals
have different styles; for learning, thinking, teaching. One way of doing
things will not work for everyone, nor should we expect it to. We need to
develop an understanding of our own styles and a tolerance and
understanding of the styles of others. Disagreement is healthy, but needs
to be tempered with understanding. Our history is littered with tragedies
resulting from intolerance.

Previously on the Forum, a long discussion on two-column proof covered a
lot of ground. There were strong feelings about the topic, and opposing
views were aired. On top of that, consensus was reached on some aspects,
and some history of the procedure was unearthed.

I would like to hear what others have to say in the algebra v. geometry debate.

Bill Marthinsen
Key Curriculum Press