Topic: Do we need a full year of Geometry?
Replies: 29   Last Post: Nov 21, 1997 11:13 AM

John Conway

Re: Why algebra **VS** geometry?

On Fri, 14 Apr 1995, Vince Devlin wrote:

> I have been reading the recent discussions concerning "algebra vs
> geometry" with great interest. However, contained within these
> discussions, I have sensed some other conflicts:
> - high school math education vs college math education
> - isolated math courses vs an integrated math curriculum
> - subject-based curriculum vs an integrated school curriculum

--- I'm editing a lot out ---
> the primary issue of algebra vs geometry.=20

--- when was there a war between algebra and geometry?
was it before or after the Franco-Prussian one? =20
I don't recall! ----

> =20
> By looking at algebra and geometry as separate fields of study, do we
> create the same situation as considering math and science as distinct
> disciplines? The division that we imply within these two intertwined
> areas of mathematics tends to reinforce the artificial barrier that has
> existed between algebra and geometry for many years. >=20

--- there's no barrier between algebra and geometry -
I presume you mean between the teaching of
these two subjects in some benighted places! ---
> As a high school teacher, I listen to students compare algebra to
> geometry. Many like one better than the other. Although we may not see
> this distinction in the subjects, if they do, then it=B9s real!
> Do you feel that there is a need for:
> - an integration of algebra and geometry into a single continuum?
> - maintaining the study of algebra and geometry as separate courses?

--- Well, I've made my opinions plain! (I recognize that of
course we are agreeing with each other, and have phrased my opinions
as I did just for fun!)

John Conway