Topic: Restructuring Time for Math Class
Replies: 8   Last Post: May 2, 1995 6:56 AM

Bill Marthinsen

Re: Restructuring Time for Math Class

Then in article <199504270140.VAA24308@oak.cc.swarthmore.edu>,
hgehlba2@cc.swarthmore.edu (Hilary Gehlbach , Hilary Gehlbach) wrote:

> Okay -
>
> I confess I'm not a high school teacher, but I thought I'd add my two cents
> worth nonetheless. While I was in high school, my school changed its
> scheduling from the regular 45-50 minute periods daily to a rotating
> schedule in which most classes were still regular length each day, but one
> class each day met for 2 hours. Thus, every eight days, you would have
> math for 2 hours, but on other days it would be 45 minutes. This seemed to
> me an effective system - it gave the teacher the opportunity to do
> something a bit different or more in depth during the long periods, but
> didn't lose student interest since it was only every week or so.

I am not currently in the classroom, but was for 18 years. Over the course
of two years my school experimented with "block scheduling." The results
seem to corroborate the comments of both Hilary Gehlbach and Bob Hayden.

In the first year of our experimenting, we tried it once every other week.
Odd numbered periods met on Tues. for twice their normal length of time,
and even numbers met on Wed. The following week returned to normal
scheduling. The week following that the block schedule and so on through
most of a semester.

We structured it the way we did to make the transition easier for teachers
at the school. We were used to the 50 min. period. Our lessons and
teaching repertoire assumed that structural element. We needed time to try
out something new, time to reflect on what we tried, time to revise for
the next time it occurred, and time to develop a repertoire for longer
class periods. The response was very favorable. Most teachers and student
liked the change of pace. Science and art teachers wanted to institute it
wholesale. Foreign language teachers were the most resistant (they said
the daily contact was needed to develop the speaking vocabulary). ---
Overall, this is much like the reaction Hilary described.

The next year we dove into it full time and it was a total disaster. Many
who had liked it the first year change their minds. It did not meet the
needs of everyone, just as the old system did not meet the needs of
everyone. Teachers were not ready for the increased demand of revising all
lessons to the new time frame and students were discombobulated by a new
time structure. They really resented the imposition of a system on them.
As did many of the teachers. It fell apart that year and we abandoned
block scheduling. --- What works best as Bob Hayden said is different for
different purposes and for different people.

The moral of the story: too much of a good thing is not a good thing ...
variety is the spice of life ... In retrospect, I wonder how our trial
model would have done if we had continued it. I hope this is of some use
to those considering such stuctural changes.

Bill Marthinsen
Key Curriculum Press