The Math Forum

Topic: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics (repost)
Replies: 29   Last Post: Nov 19, 1995 4:46 PM

Katie Laird

Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics

Andrea Hall writes:

In a subject such as high school mathematics, whose
>primary value is in application, how can we balance the use of discussion to
>promote learning and written exams to test ability to apply the learned
>concepts?

In kindergarten, everyone is used to group work as something normal; a part
of every day school work. As we get older, group work is often seen as
some sort of lesser form of learning. If teachers are going to be "nice",
they "let"
their students work in groups. It seems to me this is the wrong way for
this type of learning to progress. Group work is a way of balancing
discussion with written exams for a fuller understanding of concepts as
well as application; let me explain.

Working in groups is a great way to consolidate knowledge. When we have to
explain our own understanding to someone else, we become more firm in our
own understanding. Moreover, if we are having trouble with a certain type
of problem, it can help to work through that problem with someone who has
recently worked through it, or is working through problems of a similar
type; a similar level of difficulty. This can provide a sort of
scaffolding for further learning. Working in groups can get at this type
of concept consolidation to which Hall was referring by.

How can we set this up in classrooms? Give student written exams on which
they can work in groups. This promotes discussion of the ideas that are
being tested, but it also encourages students to be ready to put their
ideas into an application in a problem. One way to make this more enticing
to students is by perhaps having one of the group members take notes and
write a sort of journal on the process and what the group learned. Then
this write up would be a part of the grade for the test as well. This way
we focus on the MEANS of undestanding as well as the actual right or
wrong-ness of a problem.

-Katie Laird
claird1@cc.swarthmore.edu

Date Subject Author
11/3/95
Read Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics (repost)
K. Ann Renninger
11/6/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Problem of the Week
11/6/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Tom Davis
11/7/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Michael Keyton
11/7/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Brian Hutchings
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Ken Wood
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Katie Laird
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Katie Laird
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Jim LaCasse
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/11/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/11/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/11/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
John Burnette
11/12/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Lou Talman
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Tarin Bross
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Katie Laird
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathemaatics
Steve Means
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Kristina Lasher
11/14/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
David Weksler
11/14/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Jane Ehrenfeld
11/15/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/16/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert,...
Robin J Healey
11/16/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert,...
Pat Ballew
11/17/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Johnny Hamilton
11/17/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/19/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathematics
Tarin Bross