The Math Forum

Topic: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics (repost)
Replies: 29   Last Post: Nov 19, 1995 4:46 PM

Jane Ehrenfeld

Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics

In article <199511131556.KAA04070@oak.cc.swarthmore.edu>,
claird1@swarthmore.edu (katie laird) wrote:

> It is the first part of this "answer" that I find most important and most
> difficult for teachers to implement. The willingness to take up questions
> to which one does not have the answer takes bravery. But the rewards are
> great. That is, we grow up believing that teachers know everything about
> the subject they teach. The problem with this idea is that then teachers
> never model for their students how THEY would go about learning. The
> really great thing about a teacher who is open to addressing questions to
> which she does not know the answer is that the students get to see a model
> of learning and searching that perhaps they had previously not thought
> possible.

I completely agree with Katie. An interesting example of this concept
comes from my sister, who is a seventh-grade English teacher. Her feeling
is that it might be better for her to be a math teacher, since she has
long struggled to understand mathematics herself. Teaching English, she
cannot relate to her students' struggles since she has never had
comparable trouble learning English and writing skills, and therefore
cannot model the learning process for them. If she taught math on the
other hand, she would be far better equipped to work with the students on
the learning process aspect of the class. This would subsequently open
her up to the types of discussions about learning that Papert promotes. Of
course the reality is that she will never become a math teacher -- but it
does make me think that sometimes the best things for people to teach are
the ones that did not come easily for them, where the learning process has
been a struggle of which they are constantly aware.

Date Subject Author
11/3/95
Read Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics (repost)
K. Ann Renninger
11/6/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Problem of the Week
11/6/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Tom Davis
11/7/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Michael Keyton
11/7/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Brian Hutchings
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Ken Wood
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Katie Laird
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Katie Laird
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Jim LaCasse
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/11/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/11/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/11/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
John Burnette
11/12/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Lou Talman
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Tarin Bross
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Katie Laird
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathemaatics
Steve Means
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Kristina Lasher
11/14/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
David Weksler
11/14/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Jane Ehrenfeld
11/15/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/16/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert,...
Robin J Healey
11/16/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert,...
Pat Ballew
11/17/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Johnny Hamilton
11/17/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/19/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathematics
Tarin Bross