Topic: Quilting
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jan 22, 1994 10:37 AM

caroline brennan

Re: Quilting

In article <joanna-160194115106@mac06.duponta2.swarthmore.edu>,
joanna@forum.swarthmore.edu (Joanna Yantosh) wrote:

> I did a much simpler quilting activity with my fourth grade students. We
> called it "Fraction Quilts". Given a large sheet of construction paper,
> the children had to divide it into 24 equal squares. They were asked to
> select several of their favorute designs (polka-dots, stripes, flowers,
> etc.) and create a pattern as they colored in their quilts. The finished
> quilts had to be described in fractional terms. e.g. 7/24 polka-dot, 5/24
> stripes, and 12/24 flowers. I used this activity to give meaning to the
> terms numerator and denominator. It was a big hit in our classroom!

PATCHWORK MATHEMATICS by Marilyn Burns

Cuisenaire Co. of America, Inc. puts out a catalog once a year with a
pull-out section for teachers. This year the topic is PATCHWORK
MATHEMATICS by Marilyn Burns. It contains four activites and two
worksheets. I'll type what they have for an opener to see if it is
something you might want to do with your students.
What Does Patchwork Have to Do with Matematics?
Patchwork is, in a sense, mathematical stitchery. Or maybe it would be
better to call it geometric stitchery. That's because geometry is the part
of mathematics that deals with shapes and the relationships among them.
Patchwork involves cutting fabric into various shapes and figuring out ways
to sew the shapes together into patterns. A good deal of geometric
thinking goes into making every patchwork.
She also states that the activites are appropriate for students in all
grades.
I'll list the address below for your convenience.

Cuisenaire Co. of America, Inc.
P.O. Box 5026
White Plains, NY 10602-5026
(800)237-3142