The Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » Math Topics » geometry.pre-college

Notice: We are no longer accepting new posts, but the forums will continue to be readable.

Topic: What's the word?
Replies: 11   Last Post: Aug 3, 1999 3:25 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Michael Keyton

Posts: 138
Registered: 12/3/04
What's the word?
Posted: Mar 22, 1996 5:58 PM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

Does any one know or have a word for two arcs whose measures sum to 360
degrees? I seem to recall having read that they are called complementary
arcs. My students have suggested bi-supplementary or circplementary. As I
read the etymology, both complementary and supplementary mean virtually
the same thing "something that completes or fills up". Thus its use in
complementary sets. Likewise looking for a word for for two angles whose
sum is 270 degrees? Their contributions have been tricomplementary or

Michael Keyton
St. Mark's School of Texas

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2018. All Rights Reserved.