The Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » Math Topics » geometry.pre-college

Notice: We are no longer accepting new posts, but the forums will continue to be readable.

Topic: What's the word?
Replies: 11   Last Post: Aug 3, 1999 3:25 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Steve Wells

Posts: 3
Registered: 12/10/04
Esplementary Angle
Posted: Jul 26, 1999 8:26 PM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

You had proposed REMANENT, but said it would be nice to have a term
that "rhymes" with the existing two. I was reviewing the language in
the CAD software (thinkdesign) my company produces, because our
company, think3, started in Bologna, Italy 18 years ago and most of
the development work still occurs there. Some of the language needs to
be adjusted from Italian English to American English. Within the
software and the tutorial materials, I found the term ESPLEMENTARY
used to represent an angle which completes a given angle to 360
degrees. Discussion with the folks in Italy implies that the usage is
not particularly rare.

The word "esplementary" comes from the Latin "explementum" meaning
"filling" or "stuffing". I've searched over the Net for a suitable
term for filling to 360 degrees, including your discussion with Mr.
Keyton of Dallas (copy below). Your discussion was about as good as it
got. Based on that, and the desirability of the rhyming ending, I am
approving the continued usage of esplementary within thinkdesign

I welcome any comments you might have on the subject.

My best regards,
Steve Wells
UI Wizard

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2018. All Rights Reserved.