The Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » Math Topics » geometry.pre-college

Notice: We are no longer accepting new posts, but the forums will continue to be readable.

Topic: What's the word?
Replies: 11   Last Post: Aug 3, 1999 3:25 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Steve Wells

Posts: 3
Registered: 12/10/04
Explementary Angle
Posted: Jul 27, 1999 8:28 PM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

Ken Pledger ( has offered insight that the
standard spelling for English usage comes from the Latin, so rather
than the Italian spelling "esplementary" we'll be using "explementary"
for our software. He also pointed out the old word as an Oxford
English Dictionary entry of "explement" meaning "that which fills up",
but which had no mathematical use mentioned.

I have no hesitation to coin new terms, especially if there's a real
use. Here it's for a CAD software toolbar button and function to
switch between dimensioning the interior and exterior of an angle. The
label will be "Explementary Angle".

In summary, we'll be referring to angle pairs as follows:
Complementary angles complement each other to 90 degrees.
Supplementary angles supplement each other to 180 degrees.
Explementary angles explement each other to 360 degrees.

Everyone else can follow the usage, shout it down, or suggest a
plausible alternative.

Steve Wells

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2018. All Rights Reserved.