The Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » Math Topics » geometry.pre-college

Notice: We are no longer accepting new posts, but the forums will continue to be readable.

Topic: What's the word?
Replies: 11   Last Post: Aug 3, 1999 3:25 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
John Conway

Posts: 2,238
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: What's the word?
Posted: Mar 27, 1996 4:02 AM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

On 27 Mar 1996, Brian Hutchings wrote:

> is "remanent" really obsolete in England?... I hadn't noticed that
> it was, in my'hood!... I'd still like to see something
> that's more suggestive, although complement & supplement aren't
> especially "visual"; like, "rotament" or "turnament" or some thing.
> "Time is the only dimension." -RBFuller

Well, it's an uncommon word, used mostly in legal situations
(where it's very much alive). Since it means "all that remains
when something is taken away, it's a very good name for the
complement of an angle in 360 degrees.

John Conway

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2018. All Rights Reserved.