Topic: Pythagoreans and Music
Replies: 13   Last Post: Oct 23, 1997 12:11 PM

John Conway

Re: Pythagoreans and music

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996 Marksaul@aol.com wrote:

> >I think that that (2^(6/12) in equal-tempering) is part
> >of what's known as the Devil's Triad, AKA a diminished 7th;
> >at any rate, a nice refernce is _The Myth of Invariance_
> >by McSomebody.
> >

> I've never heard of the Devil's Triad, but the Devil's interval is an
> augmented fourth (or diminished fifth: they're the same in the tempered
> scale). The ratio is 2^(6/12). It's the interval you hear in the solo
> violin at the beginning of Saint-Saen's Danse Macabre.

I, too, have heard of the Devil's Interval (ratio root2) as a part of
"The Devil's Triad". Can anyone tell us the third note? Also, if the
inverted version of this "Devil's Triad" has a special name of its own?

John Conway