Topic: Pythagoreans and Music
Replies: 13   Last Post: Oct 23, 1997 12:11 PM

John Conway

Re: Pythagoreans and music

On 18 Apr 1996, Brian Hutchings wrote:

> OK, and the triad is, for an instance, CD#F#, which's also a trans-
> position of the dim7s on D# and F#, as you can see by sliding it
> up 3 frets at a time on a guitar; there's a 2^(3/12) in there, also.
> well, I guess that it's just a Dim, not a dim7; it's confusing, as
> the C7 chord is more naturally harmonic than the Cmaj7 one, although
> it includes a black key; G7 is all white keys, though.
>

> "Time is the only dimension." -RBFuller

I'm sorry I sent of my last communication just before seeing
this one. So the Devil's Triad, with two ratios of 2^(1/4) multiplying
to the Devil's ratio of 2^(1/2), is actually self-inverse. That's
nice!

John Conway