Topic: Proofs - My Thoughts
Replies: 11   Last Post: Feb 26, 1993 3:04 PM

Michael Rogers

Re: Proofs - My Thoughts

Michelle Manes (manes@park.bu.edu) wrote:
> Ok, I'll put in my two cents.
> Why do mathematicians do proofs?

I like to see the connections between different ideas.
It's similiar to the reason people analyze literature,
history, the fine arts, etc.

Also within a system of knowledge, I *know* something.
For anti-Platonists, it is perhaps an illusory knowledge.
But outside of mathematics I have rarely known anything,
and I don't think there is anything I have known for very
long.