Topic: Classification of quadrilaterals
Replies: 17   Last Post: Jan 11, 1995 6:43 AM

William T. Webber

Re: Classification of quadrilaterals

On 21 Dec 1994, Chenteh Kenneth Fan wrote:

> But I at least offer these:
>
> 1. Which quadrilaterals tesselate the plane?
>
> 2. (i'm groping) Given a tesselation of the plane into congruent triangles,
> which quadrilaterals can be formed from a finite union of these triangles?
>
> 3. (groping...groping...) Which quadrilaterally shaped billiard tables
> allow for ball trajectories which touch fewer than four sides? (no friction...
> no ball size...cross reference this weeks problem of the week!)
>
> (Note: the answers to these all include the trapezoids...but the answers
> do not include generic quadrilaterals.)
>
> Ken

I haven't looked into the second and third, but it is not true that general
quadrilaterals do not tile the plane. -To make that a positive statement-
Any quadrilateral will tesselate the plane. There is no restriction on the
quadrilateral (not even convexity).

Will Webber