Topic: construction of triangle of given perimeter, given point and angle
Replies: 16   Last Post: Jun 10, 2011 12:58 PM

Michael Keyton

Re: parabola through 4 points

Peter has asked about finding the foci of a hyperbola knowing 5 points
that lie on the hyperbola. I can not fully solve this, but I can find the
center of the hyperbola. For the ellipse, I can find both the center and
the foci. I think some extension about this construction should work for
the hyperbola, but it is not yielding itself to me quickly.
Ellipse: Construct any chord of the ellipse, construct a parallel chord.
The line through the midpoints of two parallel chords passes through the
center. (I do not know a proof of this without adding a point at infinity
and looking at poles. I can give a reasonable argument using symmetry of
the ellipse, but it lacks the proper rigor.) Repeat for a second chord,
the interesection of the two lines is the center of the ellipse. This also
works for finding the center of teh hyperbola.

Construct any circle centered at this point that intersects the ellipse in
4 points (use the five points, 3 can't be the vertices of the minor axis.)
The perpendicular bisectors of the consecutive pairs of points are the
major and minor axis. (In the hyperbola case, this will find the axis for
the foci) Use compass and straightedge, knowing the relationships between
the distance between the foci and the center and the semi-major and minor
axis lengths fill find the foci length. This can be constructed easily.

Unfortunately, for the hyperbola where is the length of the minor axis?

Michael Keyton
St. Mark's School of Texas