Topic: Geometry and Basketball
Replies: 10   Last Post: Apr 14, 2009 3:01 AM

Rick Nungester

Re: Geometry and basketball

"Brian" <vanilla1icing14@aol.com> wrote in message
> To whom it may concern,
> I am doing a project on the relation of geometry and basketball.
> Please help me with some ideas. Thank you.
>
> Sincerely,
> Brian

- court dimensions (can be found on the web)
- 3D coordinates of backboard, hoop
- from any location, distance/direction to hoop
- given location and elevation angle, find the required velocity for
parabolic arc through the basket
- pass patterns and coordinates of players
- alternate courts (pentagonal, hexagonal, circular)
- alternate keys (rectangular, triangular, ...)
- total distance a ball travels as it is passed from
player to player at given coordinates
- sperical ball, dimensions, required finger span
to palm it given friction assumptions
- spinning the ball on a finger (dynamics)
- bouncing ball dynamics (% of original height, total
distance traveled after all bouncing done)

Rick