Topic: Consturction of 17-sided regular polygon
Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 8, 1999 2:23 PM

Antreas P. Hatzipolakis

Re: Consturction of 17-sided regular polygon

Peter Hung wrote:

>I have trying to find out the procedure for constructing a regular 17-sided
>polygon. I know it was Gauss who discovered the method and is based on the
>formula
>
> 2^2^k + 1
>
>I have tried to find it from the WWW but I was unable to find anything.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you know why?

Because you were not aware of the polygon's name (to use it as keyword
in your searches).

John H. Conway has already named it: HEPTAKAIDECAGON (many authors, however,
use the type HEPTADECAGON, which is incorrect)

>Anyone cares to to show me or recommend any reading materials, books or
>online WWW.

Well... a web page on HEPTAKAIDECAGON is:
http://www.astro.virginia.edu/~eww6n/math/Heptakaidecagon.html

the author refers to HEPTADECAGON page:
http://www.astro.virginia.edu/~eww6n/math/Heptadecagon.html

I quote the last paragraph and the References:
<quote>

This construction, when suitably streamlined, has Simplicity 53. The
Richmond's (1893)
construction of Smith (1920) has a greater Simplicity of 58. Another
construction due to Tietze (1965) and reproduced in Hall (1970) has a
Simplicity of 50. However, neither Tietze (1965) nor Hall (1970) provides
a proof that this construction is correct. Both Richmond's and Tietze's
constructions require extensive calculations to prove their validity. De
Temple (1991) gives an elegant construction involving the Carlyle Circles
which has Geometrography symbol 8S1+4S2+22C1+11C3 and Simplicity 45.
The construction problem has now been automated to some extent (Bishop
1978).