Topic: Geometry Curriculum Standards
Replies: 1   Last Post: Apr 14, 1993 10:40 AM

Claire Groden

Re: Geometry Curriculum Standards

In article <1800700004@igc.apc.org> Dover-Sherborn High School
<doversherhs@igc.apc.org> writes:

>April 11, 1993
>
>Dear Geometry Forum Colleagues,
>
>I need your help, again.
>
>Our mathematics department at Dover-Sherborn High School has
>begun to re-write its objectives in preparation for our ten year
>state evaluation. I have volunteered to work with another
>geometry teacher in the department to write the Geometry
>objectives. We have decided to begin by looking at the NCTM
>Standards (written below).
>
>The time line for the initial draft is May 5th, and I must meet with
>my colleague before then.
>
>If anyone has any ideas for this exercise, please let me know. If
>anyone has ideas, but can not respond in the immediate future,
>please respond at your convenience -- this is a 2 year process.

From the NCTM's Curriculum and Evaluation Standards for School
>Mathematics.
>
>Thanks for your time and energy!
>
>Keith Grove (Dover-Sherborn High School, Dover, MA)
>
>"Geometry from a Synthetic Perspective:
>
>In grades 9-12, the mathematics curriculum should include the
>continued study of the geometry of two and three dimensions so
>that all students can --
>%interpret and draw three-dimensional objects;
>%represent problem situations with geometric models and apply
>properties of figures;
>%classify figures in terms of congruence and similarity and apply
>these relationships;
>%deduce properties of, and relationships between, figures from
>given assumptions;
>%develop an understanding of an axiomatic system through
>investigating and comparing various geometries.
>
>Geometry from an Algebraic Perspective:
>
>In grades 9-12, the mathematics curriculum should include the
>study of the geometry of two and three dimensions from an
>algebraic point of view so that all students can --
>%translate between synthetic and coordinate representations;
>%deduce properties of figures using transformations and using
>coordinates;
>%identify congruent and similar figures using transformations;
>%analyze properties of Euclidean transformations and relate
>translations to vectors;
>%deduce properties of figures using vectors;
>%apply transformations, coordinates, and vectors in problem
>solving."

We've also found the California Framework helpful. If you're interested let me
know and I'll photocopy the geometry stuff and send it along.

Claire Groden
Email : Internet: cgroden@bbn.com