Topic: Geometry Curriculum Standards
Replies: 1   Last Post: Apr 14, 1993 10:40 AM

Claire Groden

Re: Geometry Curriculum Standards

In article <1800700004@igc.apc.org> Dover-Sherborn High School
<doversherhs@igc.apc.org> writes:
>April 11, 1993
>Dear Geometry Forum Colleagues,
>I need your help, again.
>Our mathematics department at Dover-Sherborn High School has
>begun to re-write its objectives in preparation for our ten year
>state evaluation. I have volunteered to work with another
>geometry teacher in the department to write the Geometry
>objectives. We have decided to begin by looking at the NCTM
>Standards (written below).
>The time line for the initial draft is May 5th, and I must meet with
>my colleague before then.
>If anyone has any ideas for this exercise, please let me know. If
>anyone has ideas, but can not respond in the immediate future,
>please respond at your convenience -- this is a 2 year process.

From the NCTM's Curriculum and Evaluation Standards for School
>Thanks for your time and energy!
>Keith Grove (Dover-Sherborn High School, Dover, MA)
>"Geometry from a Synthetic Perspective:
>In grades 9-12, the mathematics curriculum should include the
>continued study of the geometry of two and three dimensions so
>that all students can --
>%interpret and draw three-dimensional objects;
>%represent problem situations with geometric models and apply
>properties of figures;
>%classify figures in terms of congruence and similarity and apply
>these relationships;
>%deduce properties of, and relationships between, figures from
>given assumptions;
>%develop an understanding of an axiomatic system through
>investigating and comparing various geometries.
>Geometry from an Algebraic Perspective:
>In grades 9-12, the mathematics curriculum should include the
>study of the geometry of two and three dimensions from an
>algebraic point of view so that all students can --
>%translate between synthetic and coordinate representations;
>%deduce properties of figures using transformations and using
>%identify congruent and similar figures using transformations;
>%analyze properties of Euclidean transformations and relate
>translations to vectors;
>%deduce properties of figures using vectors;
>%apply transformations, coordinates, and vectors in problem

We've also found the California Framework helpful. If you're interested let me
know and I'll photocopy the geometry stuff and send it along.

Claire Groden
Email : Internet: cgroden@bbn.com