Topic: Re: Mathematics in Everyday Situations. LESH (1985)
Replies: 9   Last Post: Aug 23, 1994 3:12 PM

Andre TOOM

Re: MATHEMATICS AND LEARNING: POLYA

On Sun, 21 Aug 1994, Michael Keyton wrote:
> with an equal dose of facetiousness as in the original message, Baseball
> is Life. Do I need a loner explanation of the comments?
>
> On Sun, 21 Aug 1994, John Conway wrote:

> > re "baseball for geometry, baseball for pre-calculus"
> > I hope someone's still reaching out to the kids who aren't
> > interested in baseball!

I, for example, know too little about baseball.
And baseball is too much life.
It is like bringing live animals to a theatrical scene:
they take too much attention and distract from the plot.
Or like making floor of a ballet performance
as difficult to pass as natural landskape.
Only schematized life can be discussed in classroom,
otherwise no systematic study is possible.

Andrei Toom