Topic: Re: Mathematics in Everyday Situations. LESH (1985)
Replies: 9   Last Post: Aug 23, 1994 3:12 PM

Doris Schattschneider

Re: MATHEMATICS AND LEARNING: POLYA

In case no one noticed, I see no women in on this discussion. Baseball
sure won't interest me in mathematics, nor will Barbie Dolls. On the
other hand, a classroon visit by a real person who uses mathematics in
their profession can and will excite students. The book problems, real
or contrived will never replace the excitement of good teachers and
others who help show students see both the "application" and the "for its
own sake--beauty & power" sides of mathematics.

Doris Schattschneider