Topic: Names of polygons
Replies: 26   Last Post: Apr 29, 2008 12:08 PM

David Masunaga

Re: 11-gon

1. Doesn't the Susan B. Anthony $1 coin have an "inscribed" regular
hendecagon on it and is not itself a regular hendecagon? Regular
hendecagon coins include the Canadian "loonie" $1 coin as well as the
Canadian penny.

2. Maybe I'm just a naive high school geometry teacher, but I think that
the non-straightedge/compass constructible regular polygons are very
interesting. My recollection is that Gauss proved (at age 18?) that a
regular n-gon can be straightedge/compass constructible if n is a prime
Fermat number or the product of different prime Fermat numbers. I would
think that this would then put the non-constructibles into an interesting
class of numbers. This also leads to some amazing attempts to construct
the regular 17-gon (see Sci Am., and Rouse-Ball/Coxeter "Mathematical
Recreations and Essays"). Maybe my lack of background/sophistication in
pure math research may account for such continual awe and wonder of this
result linking number theory and geometry, but then again, as I recall,
this result was also worthy of inclusion in his 1801 Disquisitiones
Arithmeticae. This is a story which I relate with excitement to my high
school geometry students. However, with the tenor of the e-mail postings
regarding constructions, maybe it's not the big deal that I thought it
was...

In provincial wonderment,
Dave Masunaga

Iolani School