Topic: 11-gon
Replies: 15   Last Post: Mar 24, 2008 9:35 AM

Michael Keyton

Re: 11-gon

The transliteration of kappa into "c" of "k" is common, the Library of
Congress several years ago published a transliteration guide to try to
standardize these linguistic anomalies. There are many who lament the
formality for if applied to many accepted names they become changed. This
is probably an even greater difficulty for cyrillic-english. In music,
you can find the abomination of Rakhmaninov for the composer
Rachmaninoff, who selected this spelling and used it throughout his life
outside Russia. I find it appalling that revisionists try to alter his
choice of spelling, even though it is part Germanic and part French. I
especially find the spelling Aleksandr for Alexander, but it does
generate a one-to-one correspondence for the character sets of the
languages. There is a musical reference work that includes the great
Italian composer Poochchinie, because the ignorant editor translated an
article about Puccini from a Russian encyclopaedia and did not recognize
about whom he was reading. This biographical lexicon also includes an
article about Veniavsky! There are difficulties with composers such as
Moisei Vainberg (Weinberg) when his non-Russian name (Polish in this
case) is transliterated into Russian and then transliterated back into
English, complicated since he has resided in Moscow most of his life.
Does one treat him in a Western with a western spelling or transliterate
directly? Schnittke seems to have successfully fought all for his choice
rather.

Michael Keyton
St. Mark's School of Texas
Dallas