Topic: 11-gon
Replies: 15   Last Post: Mar 24, 2008 9:35 AM

Michael Keyton

Re: 11-gon

On Mon, 31 Oct 1994, John Conway wrote:

> The mathematician Boris Nicolaevich Delone is an interesting case.
>
> Many of his earlier papers were published in French, and so we have
> technical terms like "Delaunay cell". Nowadays, the name is usually
> given the standard transliteration "Delone", obtained directly from
> the Cyrillic spelling. But his name is really the Irish name
> "DeLoney" - one of his ancestors was, I believe, an Irish soldier
> who was one of the many who stayed in Russia after the 1812 invasion.
>
> John Conway

Do you have the Russian of Delone, for this does not look like a proper
transliteration, if it is D/e/l/o/n/i/i (this is hard to describe with a
cyrillic character set generator, perhaps giving the ASCII if they exist.
The problem here is that the pronounciation appears to be Delon with a
long o and silent e rather than DE/lo/ne with three syllables.

I do not know any of his works. Two good examples in music are the
composers Cui and Gliere of French origin who become de-frenched into
Kyui and Glier which changes pronounciation into Gleer rather than
Gli-er, those pesky diphthongs, same with OO-kra'in-e.

Michael Keyton