Topic: Teacher looking for a good geometry textbook
Replies: 8   Last Post: Jul 15, 2013 1:31 AM

Re: God geometry textbooks

From: Neal Silverman <NealAgMan@aol.com>

> Subject: God geometry textbooks

Boy, I hope that was a typo, or I'm *way* out of my depth... :-)

> I agree...as to Welchons-Krickenberger.
> <SNIP>
> (They also had a book called Trigonometry w/ Tables, circa 1953, which
> Pearson revised in 1962 as "Modern Trigonometry".)

The copy of Trigonometry with Tables that I have (not the copy I studied
from, but the copy my sister studied from three years later) has an
initial copyright date of 1954 and a second copyright date of 1957. In
the days when I studied from it, I wasn't in the business of criticizing
texts, and really had nothing to compare it with. Later on, it seemed
to me to be a competent job, but not outstanding. The book itself did
not inspire me; the content did--and would have from any book. Perhaps
most telling, I rarely refer to it for either problems or content,
though I frequently have done so with the elementary calculus text I
used for two years beginning only a year later than I studied from WK.

-Lou Talman