Topic: fourth grade geometry question???
Replies: 7   Last Post: Sep 6, 2007 9:37 PM

Walter Whiteley

Re: fourth grade geometry question???

One 'fourth grade' way of doing this would be to actually be
playing with something like straws, or connectrix sicks and joints.

I imagine the answer they are looking for is the 'kite'.
This type of lateral thinking is appropriate at many levels.
Sometimes it is easier for younger children, who are not
as 'routinized'.

Interestingly, at the other end of experience, the first example
I thought of was the 'butterfly' - which is self-interesecting,
and probably further from what fourth grade students would image.
This I would find by making something like a parallelogram
from straws and strings, then playing with it into 3-space and
back into the plane. In that kind of kinematic play, you realize
the opposite sides are still equal in length, and only have to puzzle
over whether it ceased to 'be a quadrilateral' when it dropped
back into the plane with a crossing.

Walter Whiteley