Topic: Trapezoid definition
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 7, 2004 11:51 PM

Rick Nungester

Re: Is a rectangle a square?

"Pamela Paramour" <peps3kids@aol.com> wrote in message
> Is a square a rectangle? When did the geniuses of the Math world come
> up with that one? If you refer to Webster, a square is a
> parallelogram with 4 EQUAL sides and 4 right angles. Wouldn't that
> rule out a rectangle? Sorry, but I'm no math wiz, just wondering why
> my daughter got that answer wrong on a math quiz. Would love this
> explained in Laymons Terms. :)

Is a square a rectangle? Yes.
Is a square is a parallelogram. Yes.
Is a square is a quadrilateral. Yes.
Is any rectangle a square? No.
Are a square and a rectangle the same thing? No.

Think general versus specific categories. A Ford is a car. Not
all cars are Fords. A squares is a rectangle. A rectangle
is a parallelogram. A parallelogram is a quadrilateral.
Each category is more general, including the previously named
category, plus more.