Topic: calculating acreage
Replies: 4   Last Post: Apr 23, 2008 2:42 PM

Mary Krimmel

Re: calculating acreage

At 10:26 AM 7/30/04 -0400, you wrote:
>Can anyone assist me with calculating the acreage of the following
>irregular shaped lot?
>
>32.00 x 124.27 x 173.74 x 100.79 x 32.69 x 83.88 x 288.74 x 328.53
>
>Replies to darlene_dorff@comcast.net
>
>Thanks, Darlene

Problems like yours come up again and again on this list. It's surprising
that the message hasn't reached everyone who is aware of the list that for
any area with more than three sides, the area cannot be found from only the
lengths of the sides.

No one can help much without more measurements, either diagonals to break
up the lot into virtual triangles or else angles, which should add to 1040
degrees. Although you do not say, I assume that the measurements are in
feet and they list the sides in order. It is hard to believe that the edges
of such an irregular lot would be measured so precisely as to four
significant digits. Perhaps you can make do with an estimate if it is not
practical to measure the diagonals or the angles. Can you get a surveyor's
record of the lot from some official source like county records?

Best wishes,
Mary Krimmel

------- End of Forwarded Message