Topic: Re: geometry
Replies: 6   Last Post: May 9, 2008 4:13 PM

NealAgMan@aol.com

Re: geometry

On 6 Sep 04 09:52:09 -0400 (EDT), Yogi wrote:
>On 29 Aug 04 13:26:55 -0400 (EDT), desiree wrote:
>>does anyone out there know the 1 mathematician that's responsible
for
>>organizing the geometry that we study today?
>
> As late as the 18th century most people learned geometry directly
> from (translations of) Euclid's text.
>
> There have been a lot of changes in geometry since then (add
>"continuity" postulates, the development of projective and
>non-Euclidean geometry) but elementary geometry texts are still
>organized along the lines that Euclid used.

Until as late as the 1920's, American plane geometry books were still
arranged (as revealed by the Table of Contents) strictly according to
Euclid's five "books"---Book I, rectilinear figures; Book II, the
circle; Book III--similar figures; Book IV--areas; Book V--regular
polygons and the circle. (Solid geometry books also used Euclid's
"books".) It was not until the 1920's that some "radical" writers,
like Stone & Millis, came along and decided that we no longer were
bound by Euclid's rigid organization. Then we started seeing
"chapters" on such separate subjects as congruence, parallel lines,
locus, constructions, etc. To some people that may seem a long time
ago, but think how many hundreds of years went by when geometry books
were arranged in that same way!!