Topic: Req: Pentagon problem - help please !
Replies: 8   Last Post: Mar 12, 2004 7:15 PM

Mary Krimmel

Re: Req: Pentagon problem - help please !

At 08:02 PM 3/11/04 -0500, you wrote:
>could you explain how your construction works?i have to find the
>simplest way to construct a regular pentagon and yours seems to be the
>best, but i dont understand how to prove it.
>thanks

You addressed your request to geometry-puzzles. I do not know what
construction geometry-puzzles has described for you. I suggest that you
consult a search engine such as Google. The site below is titled
"Inscribing a regular pentagon in a circle - and proving it".

I do not see how to prove that a given construction algorithm is the
simplest. First, you need a clear basis for deciding how simple a
construction is, such as number of times you use a compass or a
straightedge. But being unable to find a simpler construction is no proof!

I suppose, however, that you only want to justify the construction you
propose, not to prove that it is the "best". If that's all you need, the
site below will help you. Please let geometry-puzzles know whether this helps.

http://www.cut-the-knot.org/pythagoras/pentagon.shtml

Best wishes,
Mary Krimmel