Topic: Crossed Ladders Problem (again)
Replies: 6   Last Post: Dec 29, 2012 2:37 AM

Virgil

Re: Crossed Ladders Problem (again)

In article <3b831d35$1@news1.abac.com>,
"Randall L. Rathbun" <randallr@abac.com> wrote:

> L.A. Graham, in the Dover book "Ingenious Mathematical Problems and
> Methods" on page 18, Problem 25 "The Two Ladders", presents the classic
> problem of two ladders, one 20 ft. long, the other 30 ft. long, each
> crossing each other 8 ft. above the floor, and the question is asked "How
> wide is the room?
>
> Is there anyway to solve this problem, without resorting to a quartic
> equation, and using Ferrari's method?
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> - Randall

If you need an exact answer, I think you need to solve the quartic.
If an approximate answer will do, there are other equations
representing the problem, and they can be solved by approximation
methods.