Topic: Trisection
Replies: 19   Last Post: Feb 11, 2012 9:59 AM

Eric Bainville

Re: Trisection

I have algebraically checked this construction. It will effectively converge
to the trisection, with a cubic convergence rate. More precisely, if we take A
as the origin and C as the unit point on the X axis, 3*t the angle to trisect,
if h is the difference in abscissa between the first guess and the result
(i.e. the
difference in cosine), and h' the same difference after one iteration, we have:

h' = h^3 / (48*sin(t)^2) + O(h^4)

For the iteration process, it would have been better to first choose point
E on the
circle of center A by B and C, since the construction gives another point
on this circle.
Then D would be the intersection of circle centered in C by E and the
initial circle.

About your question on the imprecision of the practical construction, one may
take the other intersection D' of the circle centered at C and the line BC.
Line ED'
intersects the circle of radius 3 and center A in two points G1 and G2,
providing
two other points E1' and E2' on the unit circle. With the original point
E', these two
points form a nearly equilateral triangle corresponding to the three
solutions of the
trisection problem.

-- Eric