Topic: Euclid's 47th Proposition
Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 18, 1996 9:57 AM

Robin E. Brown

Re: Euclid's 47th Prop.

Ron Hodgin wrote:

> Can anyone assist me in finding Euclid's 47th Prop. Am doing some research
> but can't find any info on this.

Whoa! No info. on this? I can't imagine that you couldn't find any
information because Book 1, proposition 47 is the Pythagorean Theorem,
proven with the famous windmill proof. Of course, it is not stated in
the familiar c^2=a^2 + b^2. The translation I have states: In right
angled triangles the square on the side subtending the right angle is
equal to the squares on the sides containing the right angle. I suggest
going to a library and getting a copy of book1 of the elements if you
are interested in Euclid's proof.

Robin E. Brown
rebrown@epix.net