The Math Forum

Topic: General 3D 'jigsaw puzzle'
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jun 10, 1993 11:25 AM

Joseph O'Rourke

General 3D 'jigsaw puzzle'

In article <C8CKz5.5E3@liverpool.ac.uk> cdw10@liverpool.ac.uk (Dr. C.D. Wright) writes:
>on the "Jackstraws" problem, which is quite similar. This
>asks, given a collection of compact manifolds in R^n, can
>they be separated to infinity one at a time. I don't know
>any references - [...]

There is a nice new advance on this problem by Snoeyink
and Stofi: "Objects that cannot be taken apart by two hands,"
9th ACM Symp. Comp. Geom., 1993, 247-256. They show that a
collection of convex objects in 3D cannot always be partitioned into
two sets such that each can be translated to infinity without hitting
the other. They also establish the same negative result with
"translated" replaced by "translated and rotated." There is a
stunning video associated with the paper.