The Math Forum

Topic: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Replies: 24   Last Post: Nov 10, 1998 12:19 AM

Floor van Lamoen

Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle

Hi,

John Conway wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Floor van Lamoen wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I wrote (on Roussel's triangle):
> >

> > > I have not yet read any notification of the fact that in stead of inside
> > > trisectors also outside trisectors can be used. The equilateral triangle
> > > you get from the outside trisectors and the one you get from the inside
> > > trisectors are reflections of each other over the circumcenter.

> > The first sentence is right, the second isn't. I don't know where I got
> > this from. I'm sorry.

> Oh good, because the second sentence misled me into thinking that
> you probably meant something unusual by "outside trisectors" , and I
> spent some fruitless time trying to find out just what. I now take it
> that you just meant the usual external trisectors, namely the lines
> at angles of +- 120 degrees to the internal one. Then what survives
> of your statement is just that the algebraic conjugates of the
> construction also work (as of course they must).
>
> I had in fact already referred to this when I remarked that there
> must be 18 Roussel triangles corresponding to the 18 Morley ones,
> although perhaps they coincide to some extent. [But perhaps that
> was in a message that didn't get sent to you?]

Well, that message was sent to me. But because of the reflection I
found, i didn't think of Morley alikes.
I suppose I have taken the perpendiculars to the internal trisectors
instead, in which case the second sentence of what I wrote is right.

Sorry again!

Best regards,
Floor van Lamoen.

Date Subject Author
9/12/98
Read A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Den Roussel
9/12/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/13/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Larry Cusick
10/27/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/13/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
steve sigur
9/14/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/15/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/15/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Richard Guy
9/15/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/15/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Richard Guy
9/15/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Richard Guy
9/16/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Floor van Lamoen
9/16/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/17/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Floor van Lamoen
9/17/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/17/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Floor van Lamoen
9/17/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Russell Towle
9/17/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/17/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Russell Towle
9/17/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Douglas J. Zare
9/19/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Russell Towle
9/20/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/20/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/18/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Antreas P. Hatzipolakis
11/10/98