The Math Forum

Topic: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Replies: 28   Last Post: Jul 3, 1996 4:43 PM

dproop@compunet.net

Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program

David L. Hanson wrote:

> The foolish NCTM standards include high school level. Mr. Escalante has joined
> many professors of math in California in pointing out that NCTM standards
> stink. But then what do we expect from the rotten government schools? NCTM
> standards joins the failed whole language reading method, the politically
> correct history standards, the fornication education, and rabid and stupid
> ecology which are all prevalent in government schools.
>
> David L. Hanson

Mr. Hanson,

I must say that Pat Robertson and the Christian Coalition would be very happy
with the way you have stood up for their platform.

However, as much as I respect Jaime Escalante, I believe that he is VERY wrong
about the NCTM Standards. The traditional mathematics classroom does not
allow for the success of ALL students who are enrolled. Traditionally, classes
with diverse social, economic, and ethnic make-ups have seen only the brightest
students from the upper-middle class strata excel.

The attempt of the NCTM Standards is to level the playing field in the
mathematics classroom by encouraging equal opportunities for all students
involved to build their own foundations on which to place basic and advanced
mathematical concepts.

In my mathematics classroom today, students are unable to relate the
mathematics done in class and for homework to the real world. The Standards
attempt to encourage teachers to focus more on the applications of mathematics
and the appreciation of mathematics (connections, connections, connections!!).
By encouraging teachers to do this, the NCTM has also established the direction
that textbook publishers should be taking in order to help more students achieve
success in the mathematics classroom.

I cannot take anything away from Mr. Escalante; he succeeded with a group of
students that everyone had given up on. However, I think that is the point of
his success. His classes primarily consisted (at least in the beginning) of students
from the same socioeconomic background: there was no diversity in his
classroom. Further, he motivated these students by challenging them and
convincing them that he KNEW they could do the mathematics--a strong
underlying tone of the NCTM Standards, as well.

I believe that too many people have short-changed the Standards by taking
what they are attempting to promote much too lightly. The basis behind them
lies much deeper than just elimination of rote learning, although rote learning is
NOT eliminated by the Standards, it is just de-emphasized in favor of more
thought-provoking, mental exercises which accomplish the same end, but with
many additional benefits!!

Lastly, I'll leave you with the perfect description of what a math teacher
should be. This quote comes from the book _The Dancing Wu Li Masters_ by
Gary Zukav. It is the description of a t'ai chi master:

He begins from the center and not from the fringe. He imparts an understanding
of the basic principles of the art before going on to the meticulous details, and he
refuses to break down the t'ai chi movements into a one-two-three drill so as to
make the student into a robot. The traditional way...is to teach by rote, and to
give the impression that long periods of boredom are the most essential part of
training. In that way a student may go on for years and years without ever
getting the feel of what he is doing.

Thank you,
DPRoop

Date Subject Author
6/14/96
Read Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
David L. Hanson
6/16/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
garscosi@pipeline.com
6/17/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Karen M. Sours
6/17/96
Read Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Karl M. Bunday
6/19/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Charles J. Masenas
6/19/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
garscosi@pipeline.com
6/20/96
Read Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Karl M. Bunday
6/23/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Tom Scavo
6/24/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
David L. Hanson
6/25/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
dproop@compunet.net
6/27/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Alberto C Moreira
6/29/96
Read What is the Purpose of Math Education?
garscosi@pipeline.com
6/30/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
TeacherBud
6/30/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
Alberto C Moreira
6/30/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
garscosi@pipeline.com
7/1/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
Brian M. Scott
7/2/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
garscosi@pipeline.com
7/2/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
TeacherBud
7/3/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
garscosi@pipeline.com
6/30/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
Herman Rubin
6/30/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
Mario Taboada
7/3/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
garscosi@pipeline.com
6/27/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Redyarrow
6/27/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Herman Rubin
6/27/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Sy Friedman
6/25/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Charles J. Masenas
6/27/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Donna Mettler
6/20/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
garscosi@pipeline.com
6/22/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Judy Payne