Topic: Inclusion research
Replies: 88   Last Post: May 12, 2010 11:40 AM

Marc Whitaker

Re: Inclusion research

kristin michelle snyder wrote:

> catherine wrote:
> I can not believe a teacher could say something like this. As a teacher
> I want to be able to make a difference in children's lives not just
> certain children. Special education students need to be mainstreamed
> into regular classes if the regular class is the least restrictive
> environment for them. If this is not done, that child is being denied a
> proper education. Mainstreaming children with disabilities does cause
> some problems to arise, such as maintaining order. As a teacher, it is
> your responsibility to work these difficulties out and provide that
> child with the education he/she deserves. If you can not do this you
> should reevaluate your skills as a teacher.

Even the violent student? The one with a history of hurting children
and teachers? How about the child who's behavior is so bad that the
other students cannot learn?

I disagre with you. Every student who can be mainstreamed WITHOUT
BRINGING DANGER TO THE OTHER MEMBERS OF THE CLASS, OR WITHOUT SLOWING
THE EDUCATION OF THE OTHER STUDENTS should be mainstreamed. It is
unfair for us to balance the problems of one child on the backs of other
children. We choose this as our job. We are paid to deal with all
children, difficult or not. Our student did not make that choice, and
are not piad to sacrafice their time and emotions.

marc@cts.com

--
Mathematics is not only real, but it is the only reality.
That is that entire universe is made of matter, obviously.

Martin Gardner

Date Subject Author
2/1/97
Read Re: Inclusion research