Topic: Inclusion research
Replies: 88   Last Post: May 12, 2010 11:40 AM

David M. Childers

Re: Inclusion research

kristin michelle snyder <kmsnyde@odin.cmp.ilstu.edu> wrote:

I was not privy to the message that initiated this thread, but from
the context of the comments, I assume (ass u me <grin>) that they
dealt with restricting gifted children to classes of their own
learning ability.

I have been an instructor of graduate classes in the medical
profession so I am not really qualified to comment on those who deal
with the younger students in the earlier grades, BUT I CANNOT agree
with the combining of students of mixed ability in that it guarantees
that the peak learning experience of the class will be mediocrity.

Certainly students with learning deficits must be given the
opportunity to learn to the maximum of their capacity, but the
exceptional students must NOT be limited by peers (in class) who
restrict the learning experience of the class to the lowest common
denominator.

>catherine wrote:
>I can not believe a teacher could say something like this. As a teacher
>I want to be able to make a difference in children's lives not just
>certain children. Special education students need to be mainstreamed
>into regular classes if the regular class is the least restrictive
>environment for them. If this is not done, that child is being denied a
>proper education. Mainstreaming children with disabilities does cause
>some problems to arise, such as maintaining order. As a teacher, it is
>your responsibility to work these difficulties out and provide that
>child with the education he/she deserves. If you can not do this you
>should reevaluate your skills as a teacher.

Date Subject Author
2/1/97
Read Re: Inclusion research
neubert@mentor.cup.edu