Topic: Inclusion research
Replies: 88   Last Post: May 12, 2010 11:40 AM

Marc

Re: Inclusion research

Bellew Family wrote:

> Following this thread, I have questioned, "Who are these students?"
>
> I agree that I do not want my sons to be held back in their learning
> process. My 10th grader was reading at a college level in 8th grade. He
> is a wiz on computers. My 5 grader is working on a upper middle school
> level. I have seen them take their time to help other students (actually,
> my eldest has also been taken out of class to help the adults set up
> computers systems for the school) I have said, "I don't want them to be
> taken away from their studies!" My sons have told me that THEY want to
> help. It helps them to better understand the material. And THEY JUST WANT
> TO HELP.

That's great, and we can use their help. But I don't believe we should
admit we have problems, then place the extra work required to solve
those problems on our students without their informed consent. If they
choose to help, great. If it's an elective they can take, even better.
But to cause the whole class to slow down with the express purpose of
diverting the better students' time to the less successful sturents is
inappropriate.

> One day I watched when one son was in second grade. A student was new
> to the class and scared. My son took him to the reading corner and was his
> friend. I can't, as a mother, ask for more. I am proud of their kindness
> and the respect that they show to all the people at school.

They learned that at home, not at school. You should be proud.

> By the way, my sons are "Special Ed", dyslexic, adhd, and included in
> regular classrooms. They are known as the "best behaved kids" at school.
> They have helped others and others have helped them.
> ALL CHILDREN have a right to be judged for who and what THEY are!
> IEPs should be individual, it is after all "INDIVIDUAL education plan". If
> a child shouldn't be inculded in a classroom, that should be in his IEP.
> And, just because a child is "special ed" should not exclude him from the
> class. We have a powerful tool, the IEP. We need to use it wisely so that
> ALL children can recieve an appropriate education. Jane
> Bellew

In many cases, that is not the way the system works. IEP's are mass
produced, and the students are dumped (or mainstreamed, depending on
who's talking) into the already full regular ed room with no extra
support, no extra training. The special ed kid is lost in a sea of
kids. I live this every day. I've not had an aide in my class EVER,
and not had a special ed teacher help me in five years. I have had
dozens of special ed kids included in classes of up to 37.

Marc Whitaker - http://www.users.cts.com/crash/m/marc
- marc@cts.com

------------

I mean the word proof not in the sense of the lawyers, who set
two half proofs equal to a whole one, but in the sense of a
mathematician, where half proof = 0, and it is demanded for
proof that every doubt becomes impossible.

Karl Friedrich Gauss (1777-1855)
In G. Simmons Calculus Gems, New York: McGraw Hill inc., 1992.

Date Subject Author
2/1/97
Read Re: Inclusion research
neubert@mentor.cup.edu