Topic: Inclusion research
Replies: 88   Last Post: May 12, 2010 11:40 AM

Herman Rubin

Re: Inclusion research

In article <330FF418.548B@sos.net>, Ken Laha <kltrumpet@sos.net> wrote:
>Marc wrote:

>> In many cases, that is not the way the system works. IEP's are mass
>> produced, and the students are dumped (or mainstreamed, depending on
>> who's talking) into the already full regular ed room with no extra
>> support, no extra training. The special ed kid is lost in a sea of
>> kids. I live this every day. I've not had an aide in my class EVER,
>> and not had a special ed teacher help me in five years. I have had
>> dozens of special ed kids included in classes of up to 37.

>Have you tried ASKING for help? Demanding help puts the other party on
>the defensive, and then you're not likely to get it.

The only legitimate purpose of a school is to teach students according
to what those individual students can accomplish. But I see little
effort to do this.

Large classes are not that bad IF the students are sufficiently
comparable in abilities and backgrounds. As I posted elsewhere to
a question about what Purdue does for "special education" students,
and we do have them, does not extend to substantial change in what
the "regular" students get in the classroom.

The special education students should not be lumped together.
The physically handicapped, dyslexic, blind, and many others
require some assistance and some tolerance; often this requires
additional action by others, generally not the teacher, in class,
and action outside of class. The change in the classroom should
be little, and reducing the content should be forbidden.

Date Subject Author
2/1/97
Read Re: Inclusion research
neubert@mentor.cup.edu