Topic: Inclusion research
Replies: 88   Last Post: May 12, 2010 11:40 AM

Herman Rubin

Re: Inclusion research

In article <ne-2202970857580001@corn-54.nb.net>, <ne@nb.net> wrote:
>In article <5e7igr$17vh@b.stat.purdue.edu>, hrubin@b.stat.purdue.edu
>(Herman Rubin) wrote:

>> If a student is LD, either that disability can be reasonable treated
>> without slowing down the class, or the student does not belong in
>> the class. As for the gifted, they should be advanced much more
>> rapidly; any institution which does not do this does not deserve
>> the title of "school".

>Herman,

>Is this the policy of Purdue? Do they get rid of LD students that can't
>keep up with the class without "adjustments"? Do you do these things in
>the dept. of statistics.

We are obliged to provide facilities for the handicapped, including longer
time and a quite place for those with the appropriate problems, help for
the blind to be read to or to have material converted to Braille, etc.

But we are not obliged to lower the content of a course. If a student
cannot keep up with a course, we may provide additional help OUTSIDE
THE REGULAR CLASSROOM, or the student may be allowed a lighter total
load, but the course content is not changed to accommodate the student.

>> As for the discipline problems, you are right. The school should
>> be obliged to teach the individual as an individual, not as a
>> member of an administratively defined group.

> Are you saying that we should have that utopian 1 to 1 student to teacher
>ratio?

I have never advocated this; I consider it not optimal, even if it were
affordable. But there are other ways discipline problems can be handled.

One thing I have advocated for a long time is video classes; not lectures,
but approximations of the present classes. This is well within present
technology, and is, I believe, the only real solution to a large number
of problems. Many of the problems would at least become less serious
if the class did not have to be assembled by physical presence.

Date Subject Author
2/1/97
Read Re: Inclusion research
neubert@mentor.cup.edu