Topic: Inclusion research
Replies: 88   Last Post: May 12, 2010 11:40 AM

Herman Rubin

Re: Inclusion research

In article <3303874D.55DF@odin.cmp.ilstu.edu> mlpapad@odin.cmp.ilstu.edu writes:
>Regarding mainstreaming special education students

>> It is not every teachers' responsibility to provide every child with > an education.
>> In their push for inclusion, parents and advocates of mainstreaming > are not saying that their child is entitled to the same
>> opportunities as "regular" children. They are saying that their
>> children are entitled to more - a lot more - in terms of money,
>> equipment, emotional energy and teaching time.

If the "special" is due to something which can allow comparable
academic progress, it MAY be legitimate to request such help. On
the other hand, if it is due to an inability to learn subject matter
as quickly, they should not be allowed to impede the others.

>I know that many special education students need "extra" attention,
>but as theachers, that is our job (those of us who are studying to be
>teachers also). The parents of these students demand the students get
>more equipment because without this "special" equipment the students
>do not get the type of education they need. Teachers teach a certain
>way, but they also adapt to the needs of their students. This is one
>more adaption that needs to be made.

Sorry, I cannot respect a teacher who teachers in "a certain way".
Someone who understands the subject can find many ways to get the
ideas across. There may be a general method, but I would hope
that no teacher teach the same course in the same way twice.
That type of behavior is for machines, not people.

>Whether techers like it or not, special ed students need special
>attention. The students have a right to be taught in a specific way
>so they can learn and prosper.

ALL children deserve education according to their capabilities and
educational accomplishments. There is no "specific" way to teach
children known at this time; those who believe there is would do
us a great service by getting out of the way of those who want to
learn in a different manner.
hrubin@stat.purdue.edu Phone: (317)494-6054 FAX: (317)494-0558

Date Subject Author
2/1/97