Topic: Inclusion research
Replies: 88   Last Post: May 12, 2010 11:40 AM

Carri Mueller

Re: Inclusion research

catherine wrote:

> > >Absolute drivel! I will never accept a concept of a "gifted" class
>
> Please explain Da Vinci and Einstein. Please explain also how it is
> helpful for the other 30 students in my class when the one "inclusion"
> child acts out so badly the class order is destroyed. Because this behavior
> is indicated in the child's IEP as a "handicapping condition", the child
> may not be remoeved from the classroom simply because he throws furniture
> at other students.
>
> The notion that it is not possible for someone to be smarter than someone
> else or that everyone should be in the same place at the same time is
> counterproductive.

I do not understand how you can say that having a special needs child in
your classroom is counterproductive. I totally disagree. Having a
child a child with a special need in your class is no different than
having a child that learns slowly. The only difference being that the
child who is slow in learning may not have been diagnosed as learning
disabled. The same goes for the child that some people might regard as
the "class clown." Having a special needs child in your class gives
other children the opportunity to not be afraid. I know that while I
was growing up I never once had contact with a special needs child and
hence I did not know what to expect or how to behave when I finally
interacted with them. They are some of the nicest, caring kids in the
world. I would not deprive any child of the experience and I definitely
would not deprive the special needs child the opportunity to lead what
we consider a "normal" life.
Teaching in a class may take longer and you may not get as far in the
book as you want, but that if that is what it takes to teach these
children then that is what it takes. Not all learning is book related,
there is much to learn from the people and world around us too.

Date Subject Author
2/1/97
Read Re: Inclusion research
neubert@mentor.cup.edu