Topic: Inclusion research
Replies: 88   Last Post: May 12, 2010 11:40 AM

nospam@geocities.com

Re: Inclusion research

Carri Mueller wrote:

> > Please explain Da Vinci and Einstein. Please explain also how it is
> > helpful for the other 30 students in my class when the one "inclusion"
> > child acts out so badly the class order is destroyed. Because this behavior
> > is indicated in the child's IEP as a "handicapping condition", the child
> > may not be remoeved from the classroom simply because he throws furniture
> > at other students.
> >
> > The notion that it is not possible for someone to be smarter than someone
> > else or that everyone should be in the same place at the same time is
> > counterproductive.

> I do not understand how you can say that having a special needs child in
> your classroom is counterproductive. I totally disagree. Having a
> child a child with a special need in your class is no different than
> having a child that learns slowly.

What evidence is this statement based upon?

The only difference being that the
> child who is slow in learning may not have been diagnosed as learning
> disabled. The same goes for the child that some people might regard as
> the "class clown." Having a special needs child in your class gives
> other children the opportunity to not be afraid.

It also gives them the opportunity and reason _to be afraid_.

I know that while I
> was growing up I never once had contact with a special needs child and
> hence I did not know what to expect or how to behave when I finally
> interacted with them.

So because _you didn't have to_ "experience' adjusting _your learning_
for
a special needs child every child today should "experience" what _you
belie_
to be a socially rewarding opportunity?

They are some of the nicest, caring kids in the
> world.
Broad generalization, _totally ignoring the types of students Katherine
describes_.

I would not deprive any child of the experience and I definitely
> would not deprive the special needs child the opportunity to lead what
> we consider a "normal" life.

Is this now then the function of our schools? I though it was learning.
It certainly
is learning when we come to talk about declining test scores, and
ability of "graduates" to
perform. Remember we are "graduating" these special needs students too.
In my school the
special needs students were _not exempted from taking the state
standardized tests_ though
when I am teaching the same students they have _an individualized_
lesson plan and assessment goal!
How's that for a double standard?

> Teaching in a class may take longer and you may not get as far in the
> book as you want, but that if that is what it takes to teach these
> children then that is what it takes.

Where will you be at the _next taxpayers meeting, or contract
negotiations meeting_ when others
are decrying our _lack of academic progress?? I hope you will be loudly
proclaiming the above statement to all so that the social working
teacher can at least be assured that their wages keep up with the cost
of living.

Not all learning is book related,
> there is much to learn from the people and world around us too.

Yes, why don't you learn from the teachers who have _not experienced
some dream like fantasy_ you suppose to exist.

Special needs children _are special_ they have _special needs_ these
needs _are for the most part not being met_ in an inclusion classroom
where _average children take on the tasks formerly given to highly
trained and educated professionals_.

You people are being conned! Teachers who are not in accordance with
your fantasy are not insensitive, we are realists. We experience the
reality of too few special needs teachers spread too thin between
regular classrooms. Wake up look around! Time will bear out what we are
telling you.

--
Mr. Scuba "I drive a tow truck on the
mr/scuba@geocities.com Information Highway"