Topic: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Replies: 75   Last Post: Dec 27, 1996 8:50 PM

Carol

Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)

Herman Rubin wrote:

> Giftedness is "bestowed" by genetics, with possibly prenatal environment
> playing a part. Its development can be nurtured or suppressed, and even
> damaged. The recognition, or the failure to recognize, giftedness is
> done by people.

You'll have to enlighten me Ruben. What "genetics" are best, and what are
the characteristics of those that are "bestowed" on? Are there physical
characteristics to look for, or can you tell by looking at what the parents
do for a living? How do you tell the difference between a child who has been
drilled by their parents and the child who has natural ability that has not
surfaced because the parents have not nurtured the gift? What about the
research that says that human use there brain only to about 10% of what it is
capable of? I'm sorry I'm one of those "people" you talk about that fails to
see this clearly.

--
Please e-mail me at carolmc@earthlink.net. The above address is incomplete to
prevent junk e-mail.

"When you hold a child's hand, point to the sky and say,
"Look at the airplane up there, where do you think it's going?"
and he replies, as though to an idiot, "To the airport, of course!",
whose fault is it?"
{Found in the program for Cirque du Soliel}

Date Subject Author
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
kathyd@microserve.net
12/11/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/13/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Michael Hodges
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/14/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Stan Hollenbeck
12/14/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
J. Clarke
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Otava
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
J. Clarke
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/21/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Alberto C Moreira
12/22/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Philip Cain
12/22/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/23/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Philip Cain
12/24/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/27/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Philip Cain
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Donna Mettler
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Shyang Hwang
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/20/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
JS
12/20/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Redyarrow
12/21/96
[...]
sockeye
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Alberto C Moreira
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/11/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Paul MacFarlane
12/13/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Powell Jay
12/13/96
[...]
Reuel Nash