Topic: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Replies: 75   Last Post: Dec 27, 1996 8:50 PM

Alberto C Moreira

Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)

In article <59bvhi$ppj@csu-b.csuohio.edu>, scott@math.csuohio.edu (Brian M. Scott) wrote:
>In article <32B78277.5295@earthlink.net>, carolmc@earthlink.net says...
>
>[snip]
>

>>My argument is that their are many kinds of intelligence, and to argue that
>>certain types are more precious than others, in my opinion, is a form of
>>bigotry.

>Has anyone done so? At most some have argued that the schools ought
>to concern themselves with some and not with others. In fact, I'll
>say so outright: I do not think that the development of 'physical
>intelligence' (i.e., athleticism) or 'social intelligence' - beyond
>a reasonable, useful minimum, at least - is the proper function of
>the schools. This says nothing about the value I place on these
>'intelligences'; it says a great deal about my view of the purpose
>of elementary education.

I believe that the discipline dictates the kind of "intelligence" required
to learn it. To the extent that many disciplines must be learned,
having an "inadequate" kind of intelligence for that kind of learning is
a severe disadvantage, if not almost a disability. As such, lack of
the "right" sort of intelligence to learn something important must be
strongly fought, redoubled effort must be taken to counterbalance
that lack of fundamental skills and to rebuild some of them.

What cannot be done is to modify the discipline and water it down
to suit individual preferences. And this sort of thing isn't very relevant
to learning anyway: work, exposure and continuity are much more
important.

Alberto.

Date Subject Author
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
kathyd@microserve.net
12/11/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/13/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Michael Hodges
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/14/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Stan Hollenbeck
12/14/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
J. Clarke
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Otava
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
J. Clarke
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/21/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Alberto C Moreira
12/22/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Philip Cain
12/22/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/23/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Philip Cain
12/24/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/27/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Philip Cain
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Donna Mettler
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Shyang Hwang
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/20/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
JS
12/20/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Redyarrow
12/21/96
[...]
sockeye
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Alberto C Moreira
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/11/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Paul MacFarlane
12/13/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Powell Jay
12/13/96
[...]
Reuel Nash