Topic: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Replies: 75   Last Post: Dec 27, 1996 8:50 PM

Philip Cain

Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)

scott@math.csuohio.edu (Brian M. Scott) wrote:

>In article <59ii6u$q18@nntp.interaccess.com>, philcain@orelle.com says...

>[snip]

>>Brian,
>>
>>What is your view of the purpose of elementary education?

>I take its primary purpose to be the development of the intellect,
>with all that that entails. One can argue over the extent of that
>brief, and I'm not terribly fussy about the details; but I do insist
>that the first concern of education is the *mind*.

A threoretical question, then. If the mind is the centerpiece,
doesn't it stand to reason that an elementary teacher should want to
know all there is to know about the development of the brain?

I'm not trying to press any point of view here. I'm not a teacher and
would like to know more about what makes an elementary school teacher
different or special. My question is about the tools you bring to the
classroom and how you keep them.

Phil

Date Subject Author
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
kathyd@microserve.net
12/11/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/13/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Michael Hodges
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/14/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Stan Hollenbeck
12/14/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
J. Clarke
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Otava
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
J. Clarke
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/21/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Alberto C Moreira
12/22/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Philip Cain
12/22/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/23/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Philip Cain
12/24/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/27/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Philip Cain
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Donna Mettler
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Shyang Hwang
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/20/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
JS
12/20/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Redyarrow
12/21/96
[...]
sockeye
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Alberto C Moreira
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/11/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Paul MacFarlane
12/13/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Powell Jay
12/13/96
[...]
Reuel Nash